We have provided a number of links to other websites on a range of topics related to massage and bodywork. Links are arranged by category. Also, feel free to view our index of articles about massage and related topics. Most articles are in HTML format, while some are available to download as a PDF. Look for the link below the article — please note that in order to view PDF files, you must have a version of Adobe Acrobat or Reader installed on your computer.
BODYWORK & MASSAGE
Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals (ABMP)
The Clinician’s Manual by Barrett Dorko, PT
- Musings on the Practice of Manual Therapy
Barrett Dorko’s website
California Alliance of Massage & Bodywork Schools (CAMBS)
- CAMBS is a member organization of California massage schools committed to advancing the public acceptance and use of massage and related practices of touch. CAMBS is dedicated to working with the Bureau of Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education (BPPVE) to foster quality in massage training and to working with local agencies to foster a cooperative attitude of regulation. In pursuing these goals, CAMBS is committed to keeping entry to massage practice suitable for adult learners with multiple responsibilities and to providing for issues of learning diversity.
California Massage Education League (CAMEL)
- CAMEL is a business league working to advance a positive business environment for practicing and teaching massage within California.
IMSAC Membership Application
- The mission of the Independent Massage School Association of California is to promote the interests of the owners, staff, faculty, students and graduates of independent massage schools in California. Membership is open only to schools that have massage and bodywork as their primary focus.
Massage Today Magazine
- High quality online magazine with articles, columns, resources, classifieds and more for massage and bodywork practitioners.
ONSEN Technique by Rich Phaigh
- When structural stress is the source of pain, the only way to alleviate the pain is to correct the structure. Often pain shows up far away from its cause and that is why structural analysis is vital. An understanding of the common threads which run through all patient suffering pain will help us to set the wheels in motion for a complete and lasting change in the patients we treat. The three components of ONSEN are Muscle Energy Technique, Post Isometric Relaxation and Transverse Friction Massage.
Touch Research Institute (TRI)
- The world-famous Touch Research Institute is dedicated to studying the effects of touch therapy. The TRIs have researched the effects of massage therapy at all stages of life, from newborns to senior citizens. In these studies theTRIs have shown that touch therapy has many positive effects.
Massage Therapy Center, Palo Alto
- Premiere quality massage and bodywork has been our trademark for 30 years. We’ve developed a unique approach, combining skill, presence, and caring to offer our clients lasting benefits for every aspect of your life-from career to inner and outer well-being of health…clinical deep tissue, sports, relaxation, lymphatic drainage, shiatsu, acupressure, myofascial release, trigger point work, neuromassage, craniosacral, acupuncture, chiropractic-to name some of our modalities. We are always welcoming applications for massage therapists and practitioners.
Massage Therapy Center
CAMTC – State Certification
- MASSAGE THERAPISTS-SB 731 has initiated massage regulation for California Statewide Voluntary Massage Certification, thereby allowing for work in multiple California locations without the need for multiple permits and fees. SB 731 has also established criteria for the “Certified”Massage Therapist (CMT) and “Certified” Massage Practitioner (CMP) professional titles. Massage Therapists currently using “Certified” in their title will have the choice to obtain “Certification” through CAMTC and maintain that title, or maintain their local permit(s) and delete the term “Certified” in their professional title. Initially there will be some certification provisions for special circumstances such as “grandfathering” long-time practitioners and applicants with out-of-state education, etc.
- Here is the link CAMTC website where you can download the flow charts listing the requirements to qualify for CMP & CMP. It is the Chart of Qualifications in the first box.
National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB)
- This private organization provides certification in massage through a rigorous application process and standardized written exam.
American Cancer Society
- Includes alternative care
- Cancer Care is a national non-profit organization whose mission is to provide free professional help to people with all cancers through counseling, education, information and referral and direct financial assistance.
Health World Online
- Complementary Cancer Care
Institute of Cancer Research (UK)
- The Institute of Cancer Research is one of the world’s leading cancer research organisations and is internationally renowned for the quality of its science.
- The Institute is a college of the University of London and works in partnership with The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust.
Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center
Onco Link – University of Pennsylvania Cancer Center
- The latest news on cancer treatment, cancer research, oncology advances, and cancer clinical trials from the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania.
- A non-profit organization that offers a free web site full of information and clinical trials to support people with pancreatic cancer and their loved ones and physicians.
- From CancerBackup (UK)
Yahoo Professional Bodywork Discussion Group
- A discussion group for practicing massage therapists with over 1500 members. Hosted by Yahoo.
Yahoo Bodywork Group
Context Institute’s Sustainable Culture Information Service
Online Community Toolkit
- Full Circle Associates
Foundation for Nonprofit Management
- By Peter F. Drucker
Leader to Leader Institute
Resources for meeting and group processes
- A list of online resources
List of Resources
Ramblemuse — Resources for Community Building
- By Keith Grant
Sustainable Communities Network (SCN)
- Linking citizens to resources and to one another to create healthy, vital, sustainable communities
ECO-FRIENDLY / GREEN PRACTICES
- Teleosis Institute promotes Green Health Care and sustainable medical
practices that are good for people and the environment. The Institute
provides educational programs, tools and resources to support health
practitioners integrate environmentally sound strategies into their
Teleosis Institute Website
Articles and Books on Teaching, Parenting and Managing
- By Alfie Kohn, author of The Case Against Standardized Testing: Raising the Scores, Ruining the Schools.
ERIC Clearinghouse on Adult, Career and Vocational Education
- ERIC is the Educational Resources Information Center.
How People Learn, by the National Research Council
- Science now offers new conceptions of the learning process and the development of competent performance. Recent research provides a deep understanding of complex reasoning and performance on problem-solving tasks and how skill and understanding in key subjects are acquired. This book presents a contemporary account of principles of learning, and this summary provides an overview of the new science of learning.
Article on National Academy of Sciences Website
Mel Levine – All Kinds of Minds
- A nonprofit institute for the understanding of differences in learning.
All Kinds of Minds Website
- Peter Sacks’ articles and books critically examine America’s ‘testing culture’ in schools, higher education, and the workplace, and how the American meritocracy can be more fair for all citizens.
Peter Sacks Website
National Center for Research in Vocational Education
- NCRVE is a now-defunct project of the Office of Vocational and Adult Education and US Department of Education. Some of its findings and useful links have been archived here.
NCRVE Website Archive
The New Conversations About Learning –
- Insights From Neuroscience and Anthropology, Cognitive Science and Work-Place Studies. An article by Theodore J. Marchese
Theodore Marchese’s article on New Horizons Website
California Coalition on Somatic Practices (CCSP)
- The California Coalition on Somatic Practices is a volunteer coalition of organizations and individuals concerned with California state policy toward the regulation of massage therapy and other forms of somatic practice. They function as a community in which all voices are considered and the diversity of our approaches and beliefs respected. Their stated intent is not to push for or create the regulation of somatic practice in California, but to understand the possibilities and support the development of consensus within the somatic community.